2014 Fees-only PhD scholarship available at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh/UK
Two PhD tuition-waivers (currently £14,080 p.a.) are available at School of Engineering and Physical Sciences in Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.
Dr. Chen’s research interests mainly span from computational mechanics and structural optimization to their applications in biomedical engineering such as tissue scaffolds, vascular stents, dental implants and drug delivery systems, particularly in optimally designing the microstructures of biomedical devices in order to achieve desired mechanical and biochemical needs. His research is highly interdisciplinary and at the interface of engineering, materials science and biomedicine.
• Design of microstructural porous materials for biomedical engineering
• Solid and fluidic characterizations for porous microstructures of cellular materials
• Release mechanism and microstructural modeling/design of biodegradable systems
• Properties of metamaterials and their design optimization in engineering materials
• Structural optimization: size, shape and topology
• Mechanobiology; Cell mechanics; Computational tissue engineering
PhD projects can be within the topics listed above, or based on the candidates’ personal interest after discussion.
Yuhang Chen © 2012